Release Notes CASA 3.0.0
This release is the first public non-beta release.
This means that at this stage, most, but not all, of the eventual
functionality is available at some level. However, the package is
still under development, and some features might change in future
releases. This should be taken into account as users begin to learn
the package. We will do our best to point out commands, tasks, and
parameters that are likely to change underfoot. Although many bugs
were eradicated in the Beta Release stage, there are some that
persist. We will do our best to stamp these out as soon as we find
them. See the release notes for the current version for more details.
In the online documenatation and the cookbook, we will try to point
out known pitfalls and workarounds.
We occasionally issue patches to the current release in between formal
releases. Please check these pages regularly to look for updates to the
release and the documentation, and to check the list of known
problems. You can find the contact information for feedback here
CASA Release Notes:
Valid for CASA Release 0 (Version 3.0.0) and later:
- New interface changes:
- There is now a tput command to save task inputs to
the <taskname>.last file for later use.
- The uv-distance units are "lambda" rather then just
"l" (conflicted with litre in quanta).
- New data handling features:
- (Task importasdm) The importasdm task now reads
SDM v1.0 and has better handling of EVLA data.
- (Task importoldasdm) The task importoldasdm
is available for reading older SDM v0 format data.
- (Task importvla) New option evlabands=T to use
EVLA defined band boundaries, e.g. to access frequencies
outside the old VLA bands.
- (Task exportuvfits) Efficiency has been improved,
particularly for MS produced by importasdm.
- (Task listvis) Now prints u,v,w of data.
- (Task vishead) New task to list meta-data in header of MS.
- (Task visstat) New task to calculate statistics on data in MS.
- Data selection now handles the correlation parameter
- New plotting and flagging features:
- (Task flagdata) There are a number of improvements,
including an easier list-mode for selection parameters under
and automatic backup of previous flags using flagbackup=T.
- (Task plotms) The new prototype MS plotting application plotms has
many new features.
- New synthesis calibration features:
- (Task cvel) There is a new task cvel that will regrid a spectral MS
onto a new frequency channel system.
- (Task gencal) There is a new task gencal that will create a calibration
table from lists, including options for delays and antenna position errors.
- (Task setjy) The calibration models provided for use in setjy now
cover wider bandwidths.
- (Task split) You can now split a read only ms as long
as you have write access to output disk.
- New synthesis imaging features:
- (Task clean) A number of improvements were
made to the clean task:
- There is a new calready parameter to create a
scratch column and save model visibilities (e.g. for
- There are new options using gridmode parameter,
including 'widefield' for w-projection and faceting,
and 'aprojection' for squint correction.
- Mosaicing with ftmachine='mosaic' now improved using
- For interactive=T there is now a chaniter=T
option to fully clean each cube channel sequentially.
- Frame handling via outframe and veltype for
mode='velocity' and 'frequency'.
- Sault-Wieringa MFS for higher-order Taylor expansion of
spectrum now available in mode='mfs'.
- (Task autoclean) New prototype (experimental) task to
automatically clean data, including auto-boxing of emission.
- (Task boxit) New prototype (experimental) task to
automatically generate clean boxes from an image.
- The task widefield was removed, as the functionality
is now included in clean.
- New image analysis features:
- (Task imfit) Now does multi-component fitting (starting
from estimates provided in a file) and returns a Python
dictionary instead of a component list.
- (Task immath) Now uses the imagename parameter to
assign image name syntax in mode='evalexpr'.
- (Task immath) Known Bug:
For mode='pola' you MUST call as a function,
giving the parameters as arguments, or immath will fail.
- New visualization features:
- (Task viewer) The viewer now handles images in
different frames more robustly.
- (Task viewer) The Spectral Plot tool has some slight improvements.
- (Task viewer) For spectral cubes, you now see the
channel velocities by default in the upper right corner of
image. The number of decimal places shown is not sufficient
to distinguish channels.
- (Task viewer) There is now a FileBox tool to
display/edit clean-box regions.
- New single-dish processing features:
- The single dish package was upgraded from using ASAP 2.2 to ASAP2.3.1.
- (Task sdimaging) New Single-Dish task
that performs imaging both total power and spectral data
for Single-Dish observations.
- (Task sdimprocess) New task sdimprocess for raster scans implementing
Emerson-Grave and Sofue-Reich algorithms.
- There are a number of other changes, as this CASA module is
under continuous development. See the Appendix A of the cookbook
for the latest guide.
- New simulator features:
- The simulator task simdata has a number of new
features, see Appendix B of the cookbook for details.
For more information, see the
Known Issues and FAQ page, and for general reference see the
Help and Documentation page.
Copyright © 1995-2007 Associated Universities Inc.,
This code is available under the terms of the GNU General Public Lincense
[an error occurred while processing this directive]
Friday, 23-Jul-2010 19:50:55 EDT
[an error occurred while processing this directive]